K100 restoration

8 Apr 2015 | Author: | Comments Off on K100 restoration

After a quick assessment, the parts needed to put the bike on the road and pass a safety inspection were tires, battery, brake fluid reservoir (Plastic was crumbling).

During my trip to France, I visited my old BMW dealer and bought an additional $300 worth of parts.

When I returned, I spent another week cleaning and replacing parts to have the bike ready for safety inspection. I also had to fight the tax man: Without seeing the bike, he gave it a value of $3000 and was claiming the taxes on this amount.

I went to RPM Cycle in Dartmouth to have the bike inspected and appraised. The result was an appraisal of $2000.

I decided to ride this bike during the fall to find anything wrong and be certain that it was worth rebuilding.

I replaced the oil in the transmission and engine, all filters and checked the splines on the transmission shaft. (I expected to have to rebuild them, but they were in perfect shape).

Other than the triple tees bearing that almost seized up on me (The grease was 20 years old and dried up. It was like a varnish on the rollers) and a break down on the highway caused by the EFI computer plug coming off the socket, the bike ran pretty smooth.

Here is a picture of the bike during the fall 2005:

By the middle of December I had put 5,000kms on it and decided that it was time to take it into my basement for the winter.

I had a big problem: The bike was too wide to go through the door of my basement, and I couldn’t remove the mirrors because they were seized by the rust. I had to strip the fairing off in the shed.

As I promised to give a K bike training to other K owners, until January I spent time cleaning all the corroded aluminum.

I used steel and brass brushes attached to the drill gun.

I also put apart the front brake system and found a lot of humidity in the calipers. Seals and pistons were in good shape. I removed all the electrical wiring.

Every connection was marked to facilitate the reinstallation.

I also spent time to draw on a CAD software the whole electrical diagram and printed it in colour in a very large format: This is a lot easier to trace the wires than the small German black and white schematic found in the Clymer. If you like a copy, register with on the K100 newsgroup and you will be able to find it in the download section

The main wiring harness was removed from the bike. All the green tabs are masking tape with identification of the plugs. I left some on when I put the bike together.


If I ever break down on the road (are you ever breaking down with a BMW. ) it will be easier to follow the schematic and troubleshoot the problem. Later when the electrical harness was put back on the bike, every connection was coated with dielectric grease.

Here is the layout of the electrical box:

BMW K100
BMW K100
BMW K100
BMW K100
BMW K100
BMW K100

Interesting articles

Tagged as:

Other articles of the category "BMW":

Translation
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

dima911@gmail.com

Born in the USSR

423360519

About this site

For all questions about advertising, please contact listed on the site.


Motorcycles catalog with specifications, pictures, ratings, reviews and discusssions about Motorcycles.