Steyr-Daimler-Puch – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia | Motorcycles catalog with specifications, pictures, ratings, reviews and discusssions

Steyr-Daimler-Puch – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4 Mar 2015 | Author: | Comments Off on Steyr-Daimler-Puch – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Puch M 125

History [ edit ]

Logo of Steyr-Puch on the Puch 500

The company changed it name to Steyr-Werke AG in 1924. In 1934, Steyr merged with Austro-Daimler -Puch to form Steyr-Daimler-Puch. The range produced in these years mainly consisted of very modern designs, sporting partially or complete unit construction bodies in streamlined livery, from the 1.000 ccm Steyr 50 to the 2.3L 220 six.

During World War II. when Austria was part of the Third Reich. Steyr-Daimler-Puch’s Generaldirektor Georg Meindl became one of the first German industrialists to suggest the use of slave labour from concentration camps to boost manpower at Steyr. The request was approved and prisoners were brought by guarded train from the Mauthausen-Gusen camp complex at Gusen 30km distant.

Later, on 5 January 1942 Meindl wrote a letter to SS Gruppenfürhrer Ernst Kaltenbrunner recommending a new ‘satellite’ prison camp be constructed to house prisoners nearer the Steyr factory complex, explaining how this would reduce the time and loss of prisoners in transit to and from work while also reducing security and transport overhead costs. This was approved and prisoners were used for facilities construction (bomb shelters, etc.), and to supplant manufacturing labor.

This practice heretofore was not common at other larger German companies, though others followed suit including Mercedes-Benz and MAN. The vehicle range was for military use, including the Steyr RSO Raupenschlepper Ost with an air-cooled 3.5L V8 engine designed by Ferdinand Porsche. who worked for the company at that time. War-time production there also included small arms, assault rifles, machine guns, and aircraft engines.

After the war, Steyr-Daimler-Puch built Diesel engined trucks and buses, small and heavy tractors and also resumed passenger car production. First, Steyr assembled the FIAT 1100 E, then put their own engine in a FIAT 1400, renaming the car the Steyr 2000. From 1957 through to the early 1970s it produced the tiny Puch 500 under license from FIAT, again with an engine of Austrian design.



Most prominent, however, was its range of off-road cars, from the two-cylinder Haflinger and the 4 x 4 or 6 x 6 Pinzgauer. the Fiat Panda 4×4 (999cc) to the Mercedes-Puch G. SDP was the initial designer and manufacturer of these utility vehicles. The Haflinger was produced from 1959–1974, the Pinzgauer from 1971–2000, and the Puch G (also known as Mercedes G-Class ) from 1979.

The company produced a line of motorcycles and motor scooters marketed in the United States through Sears Roebuck including the SR 125 motorcycle which was delivered in a cardboard crate box to the customer’s home. [ 2 ] The Austro-Daimler branch built heavy tractors and trucks for the imperial Austrian army (before 1915). The main Steyr civil agricultural tractor production started in 1947.

After the war Steyr-Daimler-Puch resumed manufacturing bicycles and mopeds, gradually establishing distributors in several countries to manage their sales. Steyr also made bicycles for sale for other retailers, most notably Sears. In the mid 1970s Steyr-Daimler-Puch America was incorporated in Connecticut to manage importation and distribution of bicycles and mopeds.

Puch Austro-Daimler bicycles remained in production at Graz in Austria until the motorcycle and bicycle fabrication portions of the company there were sold in the mid 1987 to Piaggio C. S.p.A. of Italy.

Puch M 125
Puch M 125

Because of their extreme durability and toughness Steyr products won many enthusiastic friends around the world.

Gradual dissolution [ edit ]

In 1987, Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG began selling portions of its different production lines to form separate companies, which included Steyr Nutzfahrzeuge AG (SNF) (still based in Steyr) for truck manufacturing, Steyr Bus GmbH (in Vienna) for bus manufacturing, [ 3 ] Steyr-Daimler-Puch Fahrzeugtechnik AG (SFT) and the EUROSTAR joint venture in Graz-Liebenau for assembly of automobiles and, in 1990, Steyr Tractor (Steyr Landmaschinentechnik AG). [ 4 ]

Other production lines were also spun off or sold outright to form independent companies, including Puch’s motorcycle division going to Piaggio and Steyr Mannlicher producing weapons. In 1990, the diesel engine division was spun off into Steyr Motorentechnik GmbH . which in 2001 became an independent company, renaming itself Steyr Motors GmbH. [ 5 ] Steyr Landmaschinentechnik AG (Steyr Tractor) was sold to Case Corporation in 1996 and renamed Case Steyr Landmaschinentechnik (and is part of CNH since 1999). [ 4 ]

Automobile production remained with Steyr-Daimler-Puch Fahrzeugtechnik (SFT) until Magna International acquired a majority holding, in 1998, and in 2001–2 SFT was absorbed fully by Magna, becoming Magna Steyr. [ 6 ]

In 1998, the production of military vehicles was sold to an Austrian investor company, which named it Steyr-Daimler-Puch Spezialfahrzeug GmbH (SSF). In 2003, SSF was sold to the U.S. company General Dynamics. a defence equipment manufacturer.

Military vehicles [ edit ]

Interesting articles

Tagged as:

Other articles of the category "interesting":

Translation
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

dima911@gmail.com

Born in the USSR

423360519

About this site

For all questions about advertising, please contact listed on the site.


Motorcycles catalog with specifications, pictures, ratings, reviews and discusssions about Motorcycles.