Midlands Royal Enfield — History of Royal Enfield

6 Мар 2015 | Author: | Комментарии к записи Midlands Royal Enfield — History of Royal Enfield отключены
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Army

Midlands Royal Enfield A Brief History of Royal Motorcycles

The following article is by our Paul Mercer, and is from his BritishClassicMotorcycles.com .

The Royal Enfield starts in Redditch with Townsend and Company who were of sewing needles and machine in the 1880s.

Like many of the time, they diversified the bicycle trade.

In 1890, Townsend and Company was running financial difficulty and sought backing.

The company was taken in 1891 by Alfred Eadie and Smith who created the Eadie Company in 1892.

George did not stay with the company.

In the Eadie company won a contract to rifle parts to the Royal Arms factory in Enfield,

In honour of this contract, bicycle design was to be called the

The Enfield bicycles were to the public in October 1892 and marketed by the newly formed Manufacturing Company Ltd.

The word Royal was added in and the company slogan Made A Gun came later that year.

By 1899, Royal were producing tricycles and powered by De Dion engines.

also experimented with a engine fitted to the front of a strong bicycle frame.

built their first in 1901 with a 239cc

In 1904, Enfield stopped production in favour of the motor car

The Enfield Autocar Company was however this ran into and in 1907 went into

The ‘Alldays Onions Pneumatic Co.’ of Birmingham took the assets and began manufacturing the automobile.

The cycle factory was over by Birmingham Small (BSA).

Royal Enfield revived interest in motorcycles in 1910 they introduced a machine a 344cc Swiss Motosacoche engine.

In 1912, the Royal Model 180 sidecar combination was with a 770cc V-twin JAP

The 180 was successful in the Isle of Man TT Races and at Brooklands.

In 1913, a 3hp 425cc solo machine was introduced.

were reduced to 350cc for at Brooklands and the Isle of Man.

On the of the First World War in 1914 Enfield supplied large of motorcycles to the British War Department.

also won a motorcycle contract for the Russian Government.

They their own 225cc two-… and 425cc V-twin engines.

also produced an 8hp motorcycle model fitted with a machine gun.

In 1921, Enfield developed a new 976cc

In 1924, they launched a 350cc single using a JAP

In 1928, Royal Enfield using the bulbous ‘saddle’ and centre-spring girder front one of the first companies to do so.

The company through the depression years of the and were running at a loss.

did survive and 1934 saw the introduction of the in 250cc, 350cc and 500cc

During World War II, Royal was called upon by the British to develop and manufacture motorcycles for use.

The models produced the WD/C 350cc sidevalve, 350cc OHV, WD/D SV, WD/G 350cc OHV and WD/L SV.

The WD/RE, a lightweight 125cc known as the Flying Flea, was to be dropped by parachute with troops.

After the war, the Bullet was reintroduced with a cylinder head.

The Bullet a swinging arm rear suspension with hydraulic damper

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Army

In 1947, Royal Enfield the J2 model with telescopic forks.

In 1948, a 500cc was produced which stayed in until 1958.

From the to mid 1960s, several 250cc Enfield machines were

The best selling of these was the Enfield Crusader, a 248cc OHV single producing 18 bhp.

The Super 5 was added to the range in

There was a 250cc Trials

Another variant was the 250 Turbo fitted with the Villiers twin cylinder two-…

There was also the 250 Clipper used trailing-link front The other 250cc models had telescopic forks.

In 1965, the 21 bhp GT was introduced featuring a GRP tank, gearbox, clip-on handlebars and footrests.

It sold well its cafe racer looks.

Also in the 1950s, several models were introduced the 692cc Meteor twin, the 500 Twin, the 492cc Meteor the 692cc Super Meteor, the Constellation and the 736cc Interceptor.

1955 to 1970, Royal were painted red, and in the USA as Indian Motorcycles by the Brockhouse who had acquired the rights to the Indian after it went under in

Floyd Clymer, a motorcycle publisher, was involved, however the was unsuccessful. The largest Enfield was 700cc.

In 1958, Royal purchased the Westwood factory, Bradford-on-Avon, from the Ministry of

The Redditch factory ceased in 1967 and the Bradford-on-Avon factory in 1970, which meant the end of the Royal Enfield.

After the closed, a shipment of Series II engines were stranded at the in 1970. These engines had intended for delivery to Floyd in the US, who unfortunately had just died.

Clymer’s agents approached the brothers for frames and a limited run of Interceptors were promptly

Enfield India (1949present)

Enfield motorcycles had been in India from 1949.

The government chose the 350cc for its police and army.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Army
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Army


Other articles of the category "Royal Enfield":

Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts


Born in the USSR


About this site

For all questions about advertising, please contact listed on the site.

Motorcycles catalog with specifications, pictures, ratings, reviews and discusssions about Motorcycles.