WG&DF MCC: Welsh 2 Day Enduro 2009

21 Май 2015 | Author: | Комментарии к записи WG&DF MCC: Welsh 2 Day Enduro 2009 отключены
Sherco 4.5i 4T Enduro

Ben’s Welsh

The Welsh 2 Day has been attended by West riders since its inception and of its charm is the Lakeside start and the atmosphere that pervades event — the TT of enduro, if you Yet this year there a few surprises.

Surprise number 1 Church Farm was back! a nine year break, the test returned at Church Crossgates. Hell in the wet, heaven in the dry. Vess was about some of the ditches, and a spot of water divining pic)

Surprise number 2 West Glos riders stuck, before the event started. Ant bellied out the Haines in the deepest roadside ditch in (see pic). Good job Disco was on hand to heave it

Surprise number 3 — I got up to speed. But only on the final of the event.

Having not ridden for a all I could think as I was zapped by 450 after 450 in the Irfon Forest was I I’d entered sportsman. Day 1 was dry, and made for 4T’s. And with a modicum of talent on a 2T!

number 4 — only 2 on my minute. Gav Bailey was forced to out (but still came veteran in the following Sunday’s HH, won by Steve Biddle) and another was a So me and 371 Ryan Martin left the at 9.42am on Thursday.

He was quite and much quicker than me. And on a on Saturday KTM 250. I was on a two careful 03 Gas Gas 200.

Heading in to the Church test from Llandrindod, he pulled over before the and I thought he’d use me as a tortoise for the hare, so I got cracking. Waved off by Walton, who has officiated at W2D tests, her late husband Simon for years, I really enjoyed the Spurred on by Jim Delahay, Steve and Dave Mason, I gave it a big and nearly highsided it.

And Ryan catch me. Not long after, he did as did about a dozen others on tight check. Having not the Gasser since last Powys, I really wasn’t up to

I thought I’d run late in the but clocked in with several to spare. Very surprising.

In I didn’t lose time the last tight check of the which ends at the Abbey cwm hir The clock there was running Looking at my watch set at the start, I I’d made it in with 30 seconds to spare. But the clock on the was running at least 2 minutes and enduro is a hard sport.

( So, should I enter that as No.786 Ben? ed .) It worked to our the next day though, as the same was used at the start of the check, bought us a bit of time at the other end (in that clock was a minute meaning on day 1 we lost out on 1 minute, not 2). Day 2 at about lunchtime, when the fell, and all of a sudden, it was a 2T day. I passed the odd stuck 4T.

Strata Florida was a total and for the first time, Ryan come past me, as I told him tool through for an 18 minute in the 22 allowed. Brilliant.

Knowing have to get a wiggle on in the Irfon, I it the lot, and Ryan didn’t to pass me. Nailing the Gasser which way, we thought be in time but in fact dipped out by 3 Despite that, it was a great to feel more at one with the Gav, Drew and Guy were at the snottiest spot, a deep rut when it stopped one rider, the lot.

That’s what lost us most of our time.

check was cleaned by Ant on the four Sherco, as he let it rip following a four loss earlier. A broken cable caused that, and to Gavin’s KTM cable, he stayed in the

Perhaps he’d stretched it a bit an epic battle with Allen at the Rhayader test, block passes aplenty. Glos were well up by fuellers — Gav, F, Drew, Guy (who retired on day 1), Wells and Nathan Etheridge who went well beyond the of duty.

Staying in the Severn another nice surprise was Ray longtime Wyegateer. In fact, he rode it when a Bultaco was a handy tool. One Bulto this year (see a beautiful example ridden quite quickly by Ian Spence of and Tribulations. Sadly he didn’t but he only dropped a minute on day 1, and was than me on four out of five tests!

A mega ride, he’d got it started. There’s an art to it, as see here .

Historic bus enthusiast Weddle caned his twinshock KTM 125 the watchful eye of his ace mechanic Bob, it nipped up. Scraping the mud from the fins, he cooled it down and it to the finish. Sadly Celia son Arthur didn’t, seizing his 850 Wasp at Pontrhydfendigaid but he’ll be next year, as will we we hope.

If you fancy seeing Enduros were like years ago (a bit like the Weddle watch this clip S4C for the black and white section a few in. ed.

Anth’s Welsh

Wednesday Scrutineering and walking all 3 Special

As we turned right off the main towards the 1st Test, we saw Ben and Tony the other way, so I pulled to have a chat. BANG. The front wheel of the Transit had into an open drain nothing but fresh air under it and the resting on the kerb. Good job Ben and stopped, and a good job they in a Discovery and I had a tow rope!

Even a Disco it still took pulling out and the front raised a or so before the whole thing pulled backwards. No one took the of course and Ben wasn’t interested in any pictures or anything, not! I had to put up with Mike A shouting that ditch! on every for the rest of the day.

At 9.04 Mike Wells KTM Mike Allen KTM 450EXCF, and Sherco SE2.5IF left the line, with Pete Gas Gas 200 still sat in the park ferme due to his Angela being taken 1 minute later Vess KTM left the line and we were to together pretty much all day in the 40 class. Guy Calderwood on the Sherco was the next West Gloser at with Ben Falconer Gas Gas 200 away at

The Church Farm Test at Gates was the first sign of off we were to tackle and unlike years I can remember, was very (arm pump aside)! Wells was first off, and I straight after hoping to him in my sight. I saw him waiting at the end!

When we reached Test 2 at Cwm Hir we had settled in a bit and there was more than it looked on the grass. The check — Troed-yr-Esgair was going through mainly tracks with some track easy going, and I to drag a stick into the chain guide which the back wheel and would not out or break off. I ended up to lay the bike down and take the off to get it out.

This all happened to a muddy splash which most of my kit in grey mud each a bike went past, but I was back on and riding as hard as I to make sure I didn’t time, and thankfully I had a couple of spare.

Cwmythig Hill

We into the 3rd Test at Cwmythig and were warned by Nathan and doing our fuel, that the was slick. They weren’t and I followed Mike A in with the aim of to catch him. I couldn’t the gap on the grass and the more I tried, the I became to losing it. Towards the end of the the grass turned to dusty with berms and jumps, and determined than ever, I to gain on him.

I passed him by the inside line through a hander, and just as I was thinking job the 450 came straight back me; he was having none of it! We went the next left turn and neck and approached one of the jumps. I on my right line which was leaving Mike to hit the jump.

where I was it looked like he was a Stadium Cross event and he finally landed, we went the next berm touching I started to consider we were to fetch each other off in the red but I couldn’t give up now!

As we approached the last but one right I cut inside as before and Mike the berm, and as it was up hill out of the bend I what I had to do, and much to Mike’s I managed to block him out of the turn him getting his torque down. I though the finish line him virtually sat on the back of me, sounding off I had cut him up; I told him I knew and was very

Strata Florida

Vess at the start of this check, as it was now much slacker on time it used to be, we should easily on time by Trail Riding it and steadily. I set off behind Mike W, and him hit one of the first water splashes enough to almost form a I then carried on as Vess had in my own little bubble Trail until the sound of a fully open 525 scared me to … on the of a bend and disappeared into the

It was Vess Trail Riding!

And is the view from Vess riding’

The rest of the day was really going and the Wennalt Bank was particularly challenging with of single track with and stutter bumps. Each we joined a fire road, we back in the woods again for punishment, and after about 2/3 of the I was questioning how much longer I keep going, but the white eventually appeared with a few minutes spare.

We have got better at drinking less the night before riding we still need to work on night), and it was even possible to breakfast without pushing it the plate. I didn’t ache as as expected (maybe all that cycling is helping), and when we at the Lakeside we could see Pete’s Gasser between all the other bikes.

Angela was better, so was riding with us on Day 2, and when he off across Wennalt Bank, it was he was enjoying it. There were 2 Tests on Day 2 and having completed Cwm Hir without too many mistakes, it was for Cwmythig Hill. I made I kept with Mike 450 speed on the road to follow him the start for some more

I set off committed to reeling him in before the grass, as I couldn’t catch him on it on Day 1, and as I thought progress was being I went down in a big pile on one of the The rest of my test was pretty and I rounded it off by stalling just from the end.


in the knowledge that there was time to remove jammed in my chain guide on day 1, I set off at a fairly pace to conserve energy for the Forest. Not far in it started spotting rain, until about way through, when it emptied In no time at all, there riders strewn everywhere to get up stoney climbs etc. and I became aware that I loose time.

Trying to up the pace, I carried on several turns from the when my throttle cable Luckily Pete pointed out a way to the end of the without having to do the last and I came in on time.


The next 10 miles or so on the road leading to fuel at the Rally were covered with emotions, as I thought it was all over, but there might be some way of a cable and making it fit. in pouring rain with left (clutch) hand the fuel injection body was and when I reached Drew and Guy, the other West riders were still

Mike W (who was just to go) said he had a spare KTM cable to his own throttle cable, and was prepared to loosing time if we helped him off the seat / tank etc. to it (Top Man!!). Just as we got it Gavin realised what was and announced he had a spare in his tool box This enabled Mike W to get with his spare in this pack, and Gavin set about it to the Sherco.

At this point it to hit home that I might be to get going again, so I gave my Offs to Drew for a service I had some food. 5 minutes and I was up and running and lost just 4 as I arrived at the top of Strata Florida!

Sherco 4.5i 4T Enduro
Sherco 4.5i 4T Enduro

ridden Strata without any all that was left was the Irfon to get through, and although it hadn’t raining for long, it was a different to Day 1! I had nothing to loose now and rode as as I could through to the end. I came in on my minute and was pleased to not lost time.

A gentle back to Llandrindod and a wave to all the watching us come in before final ride around the and into the finish check so good. Roll on the Powys! to Mike Wells for being a top bloke risking time, and me try harder to stay with and Gavin, Tony, Drew, Nathan and Guy for helping with

Vess’s Welsh

There was a club entry this — Anthony, MikeW, Pete, Guy, Ben and Myself this year all staying at the Arms. There was more in the Hotel this year so I was from the caravan out the back the inner sanctum and a proper shared with Mike Gavin, Aaron, Nathan, and Drew were also in doing the essential refuelling

On Wednesday we had the usual tasks of and sign-on, followed by the test Abey-cwm-hir, Cywmythig and an extra for only, the old test at Church Crossgates. Stories from who rode a very recent here just reminded me of the wet nightmare that was this last used several ago. There was nothing too to find, although mental were made of a few dips, and muddy spots.

Scooter the dog got a good walk.

on the agenda was the small matter of a celebration back at the pub. and my sister Helen also up to help the party along bump up my hotel bill!). I I managed to reduce the potential with an early start and escape to bed.

In the morning we down to breakfast to be greeted the news that Pete had had to off to hospital with his wife at 3 in the Never heard a thing! Angela made a full and was back later on Thursday.

was nibbled — no-one to have a particularly good — hangover? nerves? The thing was there was no rain, so the … of a wet Crossgates test was

From the start, the course straight to the Crossgates test.This out to be a very enjoyable ride it’s just that was no warm-up at all before going it. I wasn’t the only one riding up the road afterwards shaking my and wrists to try to get them working again! There followed road work to the lane up and the Saith-maen moor and onto for a drop of petrol.

The long forest check turned out to be enjoyable with the dry going and of grip. Even made it to the end with quite a few minutes to A bit of road took us then to the Florida check.

This is a and rocky track, and the organisers enough time so that can be ridden at a sensible pace. So I to Ant and Mike. I left the check a after them and proceeded to them about half way up. I expect to catch them as I that their natural nature would have had racing each other.

must be getting old if they’re sensible! Gavin fuelled us at the school before the road took us to the next forest Not sure of the forest name, but was all around the wind farm on Croes, which is where the club run the Tarenig rally. of good going in here but the on the forest tracks proved to be a bit of a

Ant had to stop to remove a stick his back wheel which to be made of some sort of indestructible rubberwood, and I had to remove a bit from my chain guide after we exited the check. was waiting with fuel to sure we got down the road to the test at Cwmithig.

The test was good ride in the dry, by another road section to the going into Wennallt Time is always tight in but the dry going again helped to get to the check at Abbey-cwm-hir on time.

The final test of the day proved to be as good fun as the earlier two and was followed by the few miles in the adjoining forest.

at the lakeside 20 minutes were for maintenance which for most an air-filter change due to the dusty

Shouldn’t really complain dust at the Welsh. The forecast for was for rain, but we soon forgot that after a few beers at the Severn Arms. Dry conditions the riding easier but we were all knackered, so an early night was for most (ie. before

As Angela was feeling much Pete joined us for the second The course was reversed as usual, Wennalt bank, and then to At least it stayed dry for us as both tests can get particularly slippery wet. It was only when we got the wind turbines on Cefn that we met the first of the rain, rapidly turned into a

Unfortunately we started to get mixed in the sportsman stragglers, which in queues on a couple of the steep causing many to loose a few on this check. Ant also to break the throttle cable on the Sherco. At the rally school, applied a bodge-tastic repair a spare KTM throttle cable was strong enough to enable Ant to

And he still had a fair way to go. Strata was a bit more slippery in the wet, but the was to come in the Irfon forest. had been excellent grippy had turned into a gloopy

Still, it wouldn’t be the Welsh a bit of mud! A few more minutes lost but not too bad, and the last bit of via the ‘secret check’ was perfectly now the rain had stopped.

Back at the burgers were scoffed, purchased and we all relaxed our aching That evening, large of Wye Valley ‘Stinger’ were Some of us only made it to 11pm before retiring, a couple of others kept encouraged by the landlord, until in the morning.

Ant was summoned to bed by Ruth, and Wells managed to drop his clock down the toilet him how!).

All in all a thoroughly good few

I managed to capture a few video before the mike shorted out and the batteries (filled it with

Classic Enduro’s from way

Sherco 4.5i 4T Enduro
Sherco 4.5i 4T Enduro
Sherco 4.5i 4T Enduro
Sherco 4.5i 4T Enduro
Sherco 4.5i 4T Enduro

Interesting articles

Other articles of the category "Sherco":

Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts


Born in the USSR


About this site

For all questions about advertising, please contact listed on the site.

Motorcycles catalog with specifications, pictures, ratings, reviews and discusssions about Motorcycles.